By Hugo Adolf Bernatzik
Read or Download Akha and Miao: Problems of Applied Ethnography in Farther India PDF
Similar india books
Kofta and Biryani are discovered at the menus of just about each eating place, marriage ceremony or meals occasion and is taken into account to be probably the most tasteful dishes to return out of the subcontinent areas of India and Pakistan. Koftas are dumplings served with a number of highly spiced gravies. they're very hot in India.
Historic polemics on Sparta (by Plato, Aristotle, Plutarch, and others) have had a extraordinary afterlife within the political and academic considered Renaissance Italy, the France of the Philosophes, Whig England, and Nazi Germany. This e-book outlines the little we all know of historical Sparta, describes Greek response to the ambiguous associations of the good rival to democratic Athens, makes a primary try to stick to the following fortunes of the controversy, and exhibits Sparta's role--over twenty-five centuries--in the highbrow heritage of Europe.
Princely India within the Thirties and 40s loved a golden age which already turns out immeasurably far-off from the thriving, smooth state of at the present time. those have been halcyon days of bejewelled and whimsical Maharajas; lifestyles in marble palaces reflected in lakes or in robust stone fortresses on craggy hills; tiger hunts on elephant again and elephant hunts on horseback; and extravagant residence events ringing with the sound of polo and song and laughter.
Better Magadha, approximately the japanese a part of the Gangetic simple of northern India, has thus far been seemed upon as deeply indebted to Brahmanical tradition. Religions resembling Buddhism and Jainism are regarded as derived, in a single means or one other, from Vedic faith. This trust is flawed in quite a few respects.
- The Emergency: A Personal History
- Indira: The Life of Indira Nehru Gandhi
- The Mysterious Mr Jacob: Diamond Merchant, Magician and Spy
- Mrs Funnybones: She's just like You and a lot like Me
- Censors at Work: How States Shaped Literature
- Lonely Planet Rajasthan, Delhi & Agra (Regional Guide)
Extra resources for Akha and Miao: Problems of Applied Ethnography in Farther India
Daughter of father's sirtcr a) ilu'anfi bdbd inyi m l dm; % 5 i u i n e mama y i w :z~ h 51. Sonofmother'sbmtherb) 53. Dauphter of ,,mtberrsb q ,1 54. Dauphter of motbeis bm. b ) n u i n i mama inyi ssl f z ~ I n u i n i mama invi s l dmi 55. Son of mother's sister a) h u i n i mama y j k y l tyd i 58. Daughter of son nu% li& I ntsay k6 ] 6mb nub lfinl /For explanation of a ) and b), see footnotes on first page of table/ g - Kinship Terms of the Peoples of Farther India /Between pp. 34 and 35/ (own findings) Translation ~il~fi~f LAIHGN~ 29.
275. even today. Telford (2) assumes that an especially large 2. Page 90. number of Akha live in the extreme east of Kengtung. in the /~erweenpp. 24 and 25/ of rhe Akha girl ronzlzts, o l a small cap, a jacket wirh ~ l e e v e ? ,a ;hart skirr, and leggings. The navel remains t~ncovered. 111. 7. The clorhlng /Between pp. 24 and 25/ / ~ e z w e e npp. 24 and 25/ /Between pp. 24 and 2 5 / /25 cont. / vicinity of the Mekong mountain gorge, and that large groups are settled in the eastern parts of Thailand and Indochina, especially east and north of the Mekong in upper Laos.
It is t o be deeply regretted that almost nothing is known as yet concerning the history of the Akha, and therefore comparative material between them and the Meau is lacking. Chapter 3 Origin and Habitation Sites It is possible for us to trace the history of the Meau over a period of four and a half millennia. Thus there are unexpected possibilities, especially for the ethnologist, who, as a rule, has to be satisfied with observations based on a few generations in the life of a people. Concerning the original homeland of the Meau, Von Eickstedt (1) writes: "The tribal conglomeration of the present- day Meau, in the essential aspects of its physical composition and cultural individuality, may have originated in the steppe region where Tibet, Mongolia, and Old China touch.
Akha and Miao: Problems of Applied Ethnography in Farther India by Hugo Adolf Bernatzik