By Russell Blackford
50 Voices of Disbelief: Why we're Atheists presents a set of unique essays drawn from a world workforce of trendy voices within the fields of academia, technological know-how, literature, media and politics who provide rigorously thought of statements of why they're atheists.
- Features a very foreign solid of individuals, starting from public intellectuals resembling Peter Singer, Susan Blackmore, and A.C. Grayling, novelists, resembling Joe Haldeman, and heavyweight philosophers of faith, together with Graham Oppy and Michael Tooley
- Contributions diversity from rigorous philosophical arguments to hugely own, even whimsical, debts of the way every one of those impressive thinkers have come to reject faith of their lives
- Likely to have large charm given the present public fascination with non secular concerns and the reception of such books as The God Delusion and The finish of Faith
Read or Download 50 Voices of Disbelief. Why We Are Atheists PDF
Similar religious studies books
I used to be lovely sceptical approximately this e-book and the issues it stand for until eventually I learn it, it will possibly simply be defined as eye commencing.
During this finished new examine of human unfastened company, Laura Waddell Ekstrom severely surveys modern philosophical literature and offers a unique account of the stipulations at no cost motion. Ekstrom argues that incompatibilism bearing on loose will and causal determinism is right and hence the correct account of the character of loose motion needs to be indeterminist in nature.
This ebook brings jointly the numerous reports of other cultural teams of their Diaspora context and offers perception into a number of the concerns they need to take care of. The content material of the booklet is split into the subsequent large different types: chinese language event; Japanese-Brazilian and Brazilian event; South Asian event; effect of 11th of September on Muslim non secular Pluralism; and problems with non secular Pluralism within the Diaspora.
- The Mysteries: Unveiling The Knowledge Of Subtle Energy In Ritual
- The Imperial Cult Under the Flavians (Ancient Religion and Mythology)
- Ancient Religions
- The Insider/Outsider Problem in the Study of Religion: A Reader
- Theory and Method in the Study of Religion: Twenty Five Years On
Additional info for 50 Voices of Disbelief. Why We Are Atheists
They would have been eaten alive, died of dehydration or starvation, been burnt alive in forest fires, buried beneath volcanic eruptions and earthquakes, and afflicted with awful diseases. Here is one tiny fragment, reported recently in the press, in the huge mosaic of animal suffering: Farmers have reported a rise in the number of calves, lambs, and sheep pecked to death [by ravens]. 3 What counterbalancing good justifies allowing this universal misery to run on? Furthermore, this colossal animal suffering cannot be seen as a kind of very long run of very bad luck for animals, something which was avoidable in the world as God has created it.
None accepts the existence of the Abrahamic God (or any other deity on offer), but there the commonality ends. Some are openly hostile to all religion, while others hope to explore common ground with liberal theologians. As they explain, some are even wary of the words atheism and atheist – words that can carry unwanted connotations in many social contexts. But we aim to show, in a multitude of voices and personal experiences, that it is perfectly reasonable not to believe in a God of the kind that monotheistic religions have been marketing to humanity for centuries.
Further, the evil that wrongdoers create often harms not themselves but the innocent. A thug shoots the cashier and makes off with money; a petro–chemical company maximizing its profits contaminates a lake and deprives the local fishermen of their living. In short, the victims of the misuse of free will are often innocent. It is anyway clear that a great deal of evil has nothing to do with humans misusing their free will. The tsunami of 2004 killed about 225,000 people, and left many more homeless and destitute.
50 Voices of Disbelief. Why We Are Atheists by Russell Blackford